Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Total 60 mins
This Tortilla Chip Soup is a simple vegetarian dish that goes a long way.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 x 200g bag of plain tortilla chips
- 1 x 200g tin sweetcorn, drained
- ------------- To serve -------------
- cheddar cheese, grated
- chopped coriander
- soured cream
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat, add the onion and soften slowly for about 10 minutes until lovely and sweet. Add the garlic and cook for another 3–4 minutes until soft, then add the chipotle paste and a splash of stock and heat through. Add the tomatoes, sugar, oregano, a handful of tortilla chips and the remaining stock and cook for about 30 minutes, until thick and soupy.
- Using a stick blender or food processor, blitz the soup and transfer back to the pan. Add the sweetcorn and heat through.
- Spoon into large bowls, crushing some tortilla chips into each one and sprinkling with Cheddar cheese, coriander and a dollop of soured cream.