Prep 60 mins
Makes about 24
Bring in Christmas with this mince pie recipe inspired by my grandmothers.
- 500 g (1 lb) currants
- 500 g (1 lb) raisins
- 500 g (1 lb) peeled and cored cooking apples
- 1–2 tablespoons brandy
- ?1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1?2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 500 g (1 lb) sultanas
- ?500 g (1 lb) soft brown sugar
- 500 g (1 lb) shredded suet
- 375 g (12 oz) plain our, plus extra for dusting
- 125 g (4 oz) cold lard, cubed
- 50 g (2 oz) cold margarine, cubed a pinch of salt
- 1–2 tablespoons cold water
- 600 g (1 lb 2 oz) mincemeat
- First, make the mincemeat. Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F), gas mark 3. Put 7 clean jars on a baking tray and place in the oven to sterilise for at least 5 minutes.
- Put the currants, raisins, apples, brandy, mixed spice and cinnamon in a food processor or blender and blitz until mixed, but still chunky. Put the sultanas, sugar and suet in a bowl and mix together. Add in the processed mixture and stir until mixed.
- Spoon the mincemeat into the sterilised jars, leaving 1 cm?(1?2 inch) ‘breathing space’ at the top. Cover with a waxed disc and a circle of cellophane before sealing. Put the jars in a dark, cool place to store until you are ready to make the mince pies.
- To make the mince pies…Preheat the oven to 180oC (350°F), gas mark 4 and lightly grease two 12-hole bun tins.
- Put the flour, lard, margarine and salt in a food processor or blender and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the cold water and pulse again until a dough is formed. Shape in to a round dough, wrap in cling lm and chill for 30 minutes before using.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured work surface to about 5 mm (1?4 inch) thick and use round cutters to cut out twenty- four 8 cm (31?2 inch) circles and twenty-four 6–7 cm (21?2–3 inch) circles. Place a bigger circle in the base of each hole of the bun tin, add a teaspoon of the mincemeat and then cover with the smaller circle. Wet the rim with water to seal it, then prick the tops with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25–30 minutes.