Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Total 60 mins
Get the best of both worlds in this delicious croissant and apricot bread and butter pudding.
- 25g lightly salted butter
- 400ml milk
- 200ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 day-old croissants, cut into 1.5cm thick slices
- 125g apricot jam
- 100g chopped dried apricots
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3. Generously grease the base and sides of a 2.5 litre ovenproof dish with the butter and set aside. Combine the milk, cream and vanilla pod and seeds in a saucepan and bring to simmering point.
- Meanwhile whisk the sugar, eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl. Pour the hot milk mixture over the eggs and sugar and whisk to combine. Discard the vanilla pod.
- Mix the apricot jam with 2 tbsp of hot water to loosen then spread over the slices of croissant. Arrange the croissant slices in overlapping layers in the bottom of the dish, sprinkling the chopped apricots between the layers.
- Pour the custard mixture over the top and leave to soak for 15-20 minutes. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.