The cake is delicious and moist and the honey syrup with the berries really works. I have made this again and again for friends and family and, without fail, everyone loves it.
- 140g coconut oil
- 120ml maple syrup
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g polenta
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp milk (I use coconut)
- 125g runny honey
- Few drops of orange blossom water (optional)
- 400g raspberries and blueberries
- Crème fraîche or natural yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 23cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- In a stand mixer or with an electric hand whisk, beat together the coconut oil and maple syrup, then whisk in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the almonds, polenta, baking powder, lemon zest and juice and the milk and pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 40–50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- When the cake has just come out of the oven, heat the honey and 60ml water in a pan until warmed through and just starting to simmer, then add a few drops of orange blossom water, if using. Skewer the cake so there are lots of holes in it, then pour the honey syrup all over it. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Remove from the tin, top with the berries and a good dollop of crème fraîche or natural yoghurt, if using, and serve.