Prep 30 mins
Cook 90 mins
Total 120 mins
The perfect recipe to remind you of home. Try these spiralised squash noodles with bolognese sauce for a different take on a truly delicious good old classic.
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 400g minced lamb
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400ml chicken stock
- Good grating of nutmeg
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 tbsp chopped mint, plus a few extra leaves for garnish
- 150g feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a sauté pan and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until really soft and golden. Add the garlic and fry for another minute, then add the lamb. Increase the heat and fry, breaking up the mince with a spatula, until it is browned all over.
- Add the wine and bubble until reduced by half, then add the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Season well and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours, adding more stock if it gets a little too dry.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 190C / gas 5.
- Peel the squash and use a spiraliser to spiralise the long part (body) into noodles. Cut the bulb in half and scoop out the seeds. Put the 'bowls’ in a roasting tin, season and drizzle with oil, then roast for 30-40 minutes, adding the noodles alter about 20 minutes with another drizzle of oil. Roast until the noodles and bowls are tender.
- Stir the mint into the 'Bolognese’ sauce. Serve the roasted noodles with the sauce and scatter over the feta cheese and mint leaves. Save the roasted bowls for another time or you could serve these as well.